Here are instructions on how to install and use the Koha Offline Circulation module. You will want to complete these steps PRIOR to any offline circulation, because if you are having to circ offline, it probably means that your internet access is down and you won’t be able to get the necessary files.
Installing the Offline Circulation Client
- Download and save the offline circ client to your desktop. If you’re using Firefox, you will probably be prompted to either Save or Open the file (koc_client_1.558.zip). Save the file to your Dekstop. Go to your Desktop, Right-click the koc_client_1.558.zip file, and choose Extract All. Go through the Extraction wizard and save the extracted files to the desktop (should default there automatically).
- Locate the koc_client_1.588 folder on your desktop and open it. Open the client folder that’s inside and right-click on the koc.phpw file and select Send To -> Desktop (create shortcut). Go to your desktop and rename the shortcut (right now, it’s called koc.phpw). Rename the shortcut to Offline Circulation by right-clicking on the koc.phpw file on your desktop, and choosing Rename from the file menu. Type in Offline Circulation for the new name of the shortcut.
- Patron data is not available at this time for the offline circ module. We hope to have this available soon from LibLime.
- NOTE: Before the next step, make sure you have administrator access to your computer to install this software.
- Download and install PHP/GTK2. Click the Download and install PHP/GTK2 link to install Gnope (what runs the offline circ module). On the Gnope webiste, click the Download link at the top of the homepage. Choose Release 1.5.1 to download and install the software. Save the file (GnopeSetup-1.5.1.exe) if you are prompted to do so. Once the file has downloaded, find it, and double-click it to run it. Choose Run to start the installer. The defaults for the installation are all that is necessary, just click through the wizard (Next, I Agree, Next, Install. Yes.) Wait for the block windows to finish. The Installer was show it is complete. Click Next. Uncheck Launch AppRunner. Click Finish.
- Run It! Double-click “Offline Circulation” shortcut on your desktop.
Using the Offline Circulation Module
- Double-click “Offline Circulation” shortcut on your desktop.
- The client will open, and ask you if you would “like to create a new circulation file or open an existing file.” We recommend using one file per day that you are using the Offline Circulation.
- The first time in the day you are using the offline circ, you will create a new file. Give it a file name of <date>circulation.koc. Example: 11-14circulation.koc. You will want to save this file on your Desktop (Click the folder below the file name to change the location of the file). Click OK to proceed.
- Subsequent times in the same day, you will open the file you created. This will simplify uploading the data when the system comes back online (or your internet access comes back up). Click OK to proceed.
- You will now see the Offline Circulation module.
- To check out an item: Make sure you are on the Issues tab. Scan the patron’s barcode into the Borrower Card Number field and click Accept Card.
- Scan the item’s barcode into the Item Barcode field and click Add Item. You can scan as many items as necessary for each patron.
- Click Complete this Issue to complete the transaction.
- We DO NOT RECOMMEND using this utility for checking in items. You might miss a held item that is to be transferred.
Please note: The offline circ does NOT print receipts.
Upload instructions are forth-coming. For now, just email your offline circ files as attachments to nexpresshelp [at] nekls [dot] org.