This weekend, we will welcome Library District #1, Doniphan County into the NExpress Shared Catalog and in December, Burlingame Community Library will join as our 39th library! In preparation for their entry, we are updating our online agenda.
Welcome to NExpress
Welcome, Introduction and ‘What is NExpress?’
The Public Catalog Tour
Part I – An Introduction to the NExpress Patron Catalog (.pdf)
- Catalog Overview Tutorial (Updated 11/11/11)
Part II – About Your Account (.pdf w/ older illustrations)
- My Account Overview Tutorial (Updated 11/11/11)
Part III – Explore Additional Patron Training Tutorial Videos
Notes and Discussion
- Purchase Suggestions – Post and ByWater Tutorial
- Promotions on Go Live! page
- NExpress Patron Confidentiality Statement (.d0c) and other Orientation Packet Documents (post)
Questions and Answers so far…
Staff Client Tour
Part 1 – Checking items in:
- Video – Checking Items In (11/11/11 in Koha 3.6)
- Video – Checking Items In with Holds (8/10 in Harley)
Part 2 – Checking items out:
- Video – Checking Items Out (8/10)
- Homework Video – Patron Account features in Staff Client, with Checking out demonstrated (11/09)
Part 3 – Issuing new cards and editing patron records:
- Issuing Library Cards Handout (step-by-step, updated 11/11)
- Editing Patrons Handout (full color, updated 11/11)
Part 4 – Managing Holds
- Managing Holds in NExpress (July 2011) (.pdf) – Complete instructions
- Run and Pull Holds Queue Report (Pick List) (video 9/10)
- Check in and Confirm Holds (9/10) – for more examples, see the Checking Items with Holds tutorial
Part 5 – Searching
- Overview of the keyword and advanced search features of the Staff Client
- Keyword searching hints –
- add “donitroy” or “doniwath” or “wathena” to improve results
- Look for and use UNIQUE terms. Is the author’s last name unusual, like “Evanovich”? Is there a term like “playaway” that will improve results?
- As in Google, use a combination of keywords from the title, series and author name, including dates
- Keyword searching looks at All fields of All attached items, even mis-cataloged ones
- Advanced searching hints
- Non-keyword searches are EXACT, so spelling counts but you get faster results
- Look for unique or unusual subject headings to help narrow your search – “cookery for two”
- Koha can’t find what is NOT in the record. If a series title isn’t in the record, no amount of searching will find the book.
- Use specialized external sites to find ISBNs and other unique identifiers AND correct spelling:
Part 6 – Placing a Hold:
- Placing a hold in the OPAC (older version of Koha)
- Placing holds in the Staff Client (new tutorials from 11/11)
Workflows, Troubleshooting and Questions
Welcome and enjoy access to 850,000 items, including books, movies, videogames, audiobooks and cake pans.
Advanced Training and Homework Posts:
- Training Materials from September 2010 and May 2010
- Managing Suggestions for Purchase - overview video 9/10
- Must be logged in as TECH or DIRECTOR
- Step-by-step instructions post, with a video from Royce Kitts, formerly at Tonganoxie Public Library
- Patrons are alerted the next time they log into their account of your decision
- Currently 225 Pending Suggestions!!!
- Searching and Search Training and Search-related Bugs and Barcode Searching- These (older) posts may be of interest.
NOTE: Do not include the special characters ( ! ? & ) in searches, it may skew results.
- What to do with Agent Interlibrary Loans – Best practices
- Tags and the Tag Cloud – Ideas from Susan at Hiawatha
- Handling Patron Accounts and Fines – Best practices
- NExpress Users Group Notes, meetings, etc.