Welcome to NExpress
Welcome, Introduction and ‘What is NExpress?’
Public Catalog Tour
An Introduction to the NExpress Patron Catalog (.pdf, Updated 4/18/11)
- Catalog Overview Tutorial (Updated 11/11/11)
About Your Account (.pdf w/ older illustrations)
- My Account Overview Tutorial (Updated 11/11/11)
Homework – Explore Additional Patron Training Tutorial Videos
Notes and Discussion
- Purchase Suggestions - Post and ByWater Tutorial
- Promotions on Go Live! page
- NExpress Patron Confidentiality Statement (.d0c) and other Orientation Packet Documents (post)
Questions and Answers so far…
Staff Client Tour
Landmarks of the Home Page and Circulation Page
Basic Circulation – Checking items in:
- Video – Checking Items In (11/11/11 in Koha 3.6)
- Video – Checking Items In with Holds (8/10 in Harley)
Basic Circulation – Checking items out:
- Video – Checking Items Out (8/10)
- Homework Video – Patron Account features in Staff Client, with Checking out demonstrated (11/09)
- Searching for Patrons in NExpress Handout (NEW 4/11)
- Editing Patrons Handout (full color, updated 11/11)
- Creating New Library Cards Handout (step-by-step, updated 11/11)
- Managing Holds in NExpress (July 2011) (.pdf) – Complete instructions
- Run and Pull Holds Queue Report (Pick List) (video 9/10)
- Check in and Confirm Holds (9/10) – for more examples, see the Checking Items with Holds tutorial
Placing a Hold:
- Placing holds in the Staff Client (new tutorials from 11/11)
Homework / Extra Credit – Searching
- Overview of the keyword and advanced search features of the Staff Client
- Keyword searching hints -
- add “richmond” to improve results
- Look for and use UNIQUE terms. Is the author’s last name unusual, like “Evanovich”? Is there a term like “playaway” that will improve results?
- As in Google, use a combination of keywords from the title, series and author name, including dates
- Keyword searching looks at All fields of All attached items, even mis-cataloged ones
- Advanced searching hints
- Non-keyword searches are EXACT, so spelling counts but you get faster results
- Look for unique or unusual subject headings to help narrow your search – “cookery for two”
- Koha can’t find what is NOT in the record. If a series title isn’t in the record, no amount of searching will find the book.
- Use specialized external sites to find ISBNs and other unique identifiers AND correct spelling:
Workflows, Troubleshooting and Questions
Welcome and enjoy access to 850,000 items, including books, movies, videogames, audiobooks and cake pans.
Advanced Training and Homework Posts:
- Training Materials from September 2010 and May 2010 and November 2011
- Known Issues - Encountering a problem? See if it’s a known bug.
- Managing Suggestions for Purchase - overview video 9/10
- Must be logged in as TECH or DIRECTOR
- Step-by-step instructions post, with a video from Royce Kitts, formerly at Tonganoxie Public Library
- Patrons are alerted the next time they log into their account of your decision
- Searching and Search Training and Search-related Bugs and Barcode Searching- These (older) posts may be of interest.
- NOTE: Do not include the special characters ( ! ? & ) in searches, it may skew results.
- What to do with Agent Interlibrary Loans – Best practices
- How do we manage LOST items? – Best practices
- Tags and the Tag Cloud – Ideas from Susan at Hiawatha
- Handling Patron Accounts and Fines – Best practices
- NExpress Users Group Notes, meetings, etc.
- Kansas EZ Library and OneClick Digital Registration information